Inderal is a prescription drug referred to as a beta blocker. It is used to treat certain heart and circulatory conditions. It is also effective against migraine headaches. Propranolol is the generic name of this drug and is generally cheaper. Inderal comes in various forms; extended-release capsules, oral tablets and liquid suspensions. Propranolol hydrochloride is the active ingredient in inderal. Lactose, magnesium stearate, maize starch, and hypromellose (E464) are other ingredients contained in the drug.
As a beta-blocker, inderal effects the flow of blood through arteries and veins. It is used to;
- Control symptoms of overactive thyroid gland like sharp breaths
- Reduce migraine headaches
- Calm abnormal anxiety
- Prevent stomach bleeding in patients who have swollen blood vessels in their gullet or those with increased blood pressure in their liver
- Control irregular heartbeat
- Prevent heart attack in patients with heart problem
- Treat tremors, enlarged muscles of the heart and high blood pressure
- Treat chest pains caused by blocked arteries
- Treat high blood pressure caused by an abnormal growth near the kidney
- Treat haemangiomas in infants above 5 weeks.
Inderal mode of operation is not fully known. Scientists believe that it acts on these health problems by blocking renin from the kidneys therefore decreasing the pressure on the heart. This will make heartbeat more consistent. Inderal is a non-selective blocker, therefore it performs similar functions on the lungs, heart and other parts of the body.
Read the package label carefully and make sure you understand what is written on it. If you are confused about any information, discuss with your doctor for clarification. If used to treat haemangeol in infants, they are to take it during or immediately after feeding. Feed infants more often when they are on this medication. Do not shake liquid inderal, measure out the prescribed dosage with a dosing syringe, measuring spoon or medicine cup (ask your pharmacist for one if you don’t have any).
Take inderal tablet with a full glass of water before or after meal (stick to whatever pattern you choose). It may be used together with drugs that decrease the tumor in the adrenal gland and manage blood pressure problems. If you are using an extended-release tablet, do not chew, break, crush or open it. Swallow the whole capsule with water.
Take inderal exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Adhere to all instructions written on the drug package. It is better to take this drug at the same time every day as it makes the drug function more effectively.
For adults and children above 12 years:
- An initial dose of 40 mg is to be taken 2-3 times daily, for the treatment of chest pain, migraine and tremor. Dosage can be increased to 120-240 mg per day for chest pain and 80-160 mg per day for tremor and migraine.
- For high blood pressure, starting dose is 80 mg, twice per day. Medication can be increased to 160-320 mg per day.
- To treat liver disease caused by high blood pressure, an initial dose of 40 mg is taken twice per day. Dosage may be increased to 80 mg twice daily. Maximum dosage is 160 mg, twice daily.
- For anxiety 40 mg of the drug is to be taken before any situation that may trigger anxiety. For long term treatment, take 40 mg of inderal 2-3 times daily. Your dosage may be adjusted after 6 months.
- To treat irregular heartbeat due to overactive thyroid gland or enlarged muscles of the heart, use 10-40 mg of this drug, two or three times daily.
- Treatment for heart attack should start 5-21 days after an attack. Dosage is 40 mg, four times daily for 2-3 days after which you can start taking 80 mg taken twice daily.
Body weight determines the dosage prescribed for children and adolescents. Your doctor may adjust your dosage based on how you react to this treatment. Do not stop using inderal suddenly as it may worsen your condition. Your doctor will guide you when you need to stop this medication. Continue taking your drugs until completion, even if you are getting better. Do not increase or decrease your dose by yourself.
For immediate-release inderal, take any missed dose immediately you remember, if the next dose time is up to 4 hours away. Otherwise skip the missed dose and take only a single dose next time. For extended-release capsule, take missed dose as soon as you remember. If the next dose time is less than 8 hours away, skip dose till the next time. Do not double your dose.
Overdosing this drug may lead to slow heartbeat, dizziness, weakness or fainting. Contact the emergency room or your doctor in any incident of overdose.
Inderal Side Effects
The following are side effects that may arise as you use Inderal:
- Breathing problems
- Uneven heartbeat
- Blurred vision
- Cold hands and feet
- Liver problem
- Low blood sugar
- Skin reactions
Allergic reactions may also occur during this medication. They include; hives, difficulty breathing, swollen face, lip, tongue and throat. Report any symptoms of side effects and allergy to your doctor immediately.
Tell your doctor about any medication, vitamins, supplements and herbal substances you are using before you start treatment with inderal. Do not use this drug if you are allergic to propranolol, if you have ever fainted due to slowed heartbeat or have very severe heart problem. Let your doctor be aware of any medical condition you have.
This drug is placed in category C by the FDA. This means that it is not certain if inderal is to be taken during pregnancy. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to be, before using this drug. This drug may pass from breast milk into a baby’s system, therefore it is not to be used by breastfeeding moms.
For certain medical conditions, your diet may reduce or increase the efficiency of this drug. Follow the diet plan your doctor may map out for you. Store inderal away from moisture and extreme temperatures, in a cool and dry place.
Found this useful? You can help Us grow by sharing with your friends. It takes less than 5 seconds.